Will Rogers once said that he "belonged to no organized political party," and then went on to say that he was a Democrat. Yesterday, the continued disorganization of the Democratic Party was on full display.
In what should have been a slam dunk, in what is often referred to as the most blue of the blue states, the Dumb-o-crats managed to blow a near sure thing to the Repugnican'ts. Massachusetts Attorney General Martha Coakley gave a textbook lesson in how not to run a campaign. Her opponent, Scott Brown, apparently won because he drove a pick-up and actually campaigned.
Coakley, it will be forever noted, took off about three weeks from the campaign during the holidays. Blowing a more than 20 point lead she exemplified the Dumb-o-crats approach to politics - let's try to lose any advantage by stupidity. At a time when the Repugnican'ts have been fully reputed and are on the ropes, only a Dumb-o-crat could lose to one.
But the ultimate stupidity here is that until 2004 there would have been no special election to fill the seat. Up until then the governor would have appointed the replacement. In 2004, however, in a bit of certainty that John Kerry would be elected president the Massachusetts legislature, full of Dumb-o-crats changed the law so that the then Repugnican't governor, Mitt Romney, would not appoint a member of his party. Flash forward six years and now we get the most unlikely of all results - Ted Kennedy's Senate seat goes to a person with almost completely opposite views.
Making matters worse is that the election of Brown imperils health care reform. So after the Dumb-o-cratic leadership spent a whole year trying to screw up health care reform and waste all the time they could on what should have been completed in a month, now they find themselves behind the eight ball again.
In an all too frequent example of the fake news being more on target than the real news, comedian Jon Stewart of the Daily Show points out that the Repugnican'ts got anything they wanted, like tax breaks for the rich with only 51 votes. In fact, as Stewart noted, George Bush seemed able to get anything he wanted with 51 votes.
The fact that the Dumb-o-crats can't get anything done even when they have 60 votes just demonstrates how pathetic they are at politics. Say what you want about the Repugnican'ts, they know how to put their principles in place (and reward their wealthy donors and screw the rest of us) when they are in power. Dumb-o-crats on the other hand always manage to blow it at the worst possible time. Scott Brown is just the latest in a line that includes Bush and Reagan.
In one year the Dumb-o-cratic leadership has managed to waste countless opportunities such as giving us real national health care, bringing the banks under control and providing for infrastructure development among other things. Had they done any of these things they would have destroyed the Repugnican'ts.
Unfortunately, Will Rogers was right. Were it not for the inability of the Dumb-o-crats to get anything done except bicker internally, the Repugnican'ts would be a faint memory.
If the Dumb-o-crats ever hope to get anything right they need to take a page from their opponents play book - act like you know what you're doing and push your legislation. You only need 51 votes as the Bush era taught us. If the Repugnican'ts want to filibuster, let them. For once, play hardball. Let them talk until they collapse, and then have the vote.
It seems like the leadership of the Dumb-o-crats are more interested in playing nice with the Repugnican'ts than in listening to the people who elected them. That's how to lose power, that's how they lost the safest seat in the Senate, that's how they became Dumb-o-crats.
British Petroleum Gulf Oil Spill Costs
- 11 workers killed in initial blast
- Damage to Ocean Ecosystem
- 35,000 to 60.000 Barrels of Oil Per Day. That's somewhere between 1,500,000 to 2,500,000 gallons a day or 150 to 300 million gallons already spilled into the ocean as of July 27th by that estimate.
- Gulf Fisheries Industry
- Gulf Tourism (ongoing costs)
- Long Term Health Effects to Humans and Wildlife (to be determined)
Worst Oil Spills
- Kuwait 1991 - 520 million gallons: Gulf War I
- Gulf of Mexico 2010 - 206 million gallons: BP Oil
- Mexico, Bay of Campiche 1979 - 140 million gallons: Pemex Oil
- Trinidad & Tobago 1979 - 90 million gallons: Greek Oil Tanker Atlantic Empress
- Russia 1983 - 84 million gallons: Leaky Pipeline collapsed into Kolva River
- Iran 1983 - 80 million gallons: Tanker collided with Oil Platform
- South Africa 1983 -79 million gallons:Tanker Castillo de Bellver sank
- France 1978 - 69 million Gallons: Amoco Cadiz ran aground and broke in half.
- Angola Coastal Waters (700 miles at sea) 1991 - 51-81 million gallons: ABT Summer exploded at sea.
- Italy 1991 - 45 million gallons: M/T Haven Oil Tanker exploded.
- Source: Mother Nature Network. mnn.com. The 13 largest oil spills in history. by Laura Moss. Friday July 16, 2010.
Nuclear Accidents (Under Construction)
- 1957 Windscale, UK
- 1961 Idaho Falls, Idaho, US
- 1979 Three Mile Island, Pennsylvania, US
- 1984 Athens, Alabama, US
- 1985 Athens, Alabama, US
- 1986 Plymouth, Masachusetts, US
- 1986 Chernobyl, Ukraine, USSR
- 1996 Waterford, Connecticut, US
- 1989 Griefwald, Germany
- 1999 Ibaraki Prefecture, Japan
- 2002 Oak Harbor, Ohio, US
- 2004 Fukui Prefecture, Japan
- Source: Benjamin Sovacool
Mining Disasters (Under Construction)
- China 1942 - 1549 deaths
- France 1906 - 1100 deaths
- Japan 1963 - 447 deaths
- Wales 1913 - 438 deaths
- South Africa 1960 - 437 deaths
- Source: Epic Disasters Website
- Note: Do not look at the dates herein and conclue that mining disasters are a things of the past. Every year thousands of miners die worldwide in largely unreported accidents.
OIL IS OVER! - Resources
- The Dirt People - Ray Bawarchi (yes, that's me)
- The Razor's Edge - Somerset Maugham
- Demian - Herman Hesse
- Black Elk Speaks - Black Elk (as told to R. Neimur)
- The Quiet Don - Mikhail Sholokov
- Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger
- Catch-22 - Joseph Heller
- 1984 - George Orwell
- Delicious Laughter - Jallahudin Rumi
- The Sybil - Par Lagerksvitz
- The Fixer - Bernard Malamud
- Spirits Rebellious - Khalil Gibran
- The Quiet American - Graham Greene
- Midaq Alley - Nagib Mafouz
- Cat's Cradle - Kurt Vonnegut
- Slaughterhouse 5 - Kurt Vonnegut
- Farenheit 451- Ray Bradbury
- We - Yevgeny Zamyatin
- John Coltrane - St. John the Divine
- Patti Smith
- The Clash - the only band that matters
- Billy Bragg
- Yo Mama's Big Fat Booty Band
- Art Blakey
- Death - pre-punk visionaries from Detroit
- PJ Harvey - Polly Jean, Polly Jean
- Woody Guthrie
- Michael Franti (Spearhead)
- Public Enemy
- Ray Charles - the Genius
- Bob Dylan
- Velvet Underground
- Flaming Lips
- John Doe & X
- The Beatles
opiate of the masses
- God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh. - Voltaire
- I do not feel obliged to believe that the same god who has endowed us with sense, reason and inellect has intended us to forgo their use. - Galileo Galilei
- The ink of a scholar is worth far more than the blood of a martyr.- Mohammad
- If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him. - Sheldon Kopp
- No one will be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. - Louisa Mae Alcott
- When it is a question of money, everyone is of the same religion.- Voltaire
- If God were alive today, he'd be an athiest. - Kurt Vonnegut
- The god I worship is not short of cash, Mister. - Bono
- Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine. My sins they only belong to me. - Patti Smith
- God sure baked a lot of fruitcake baby, when Adam met the Eden lady. - Joe Strummer